News

GPC Meeting Minutes – 3rd February 2015

Minutes of the meeting held on 3rd February 2015 at 6.00pm
Present: Deacon Mark, Paula Brierley, Helen Foxen, Ryan Dekker and Owen Lee.
1. The meeting opened with a prayer led by Paula.
2. Apologies for absence were received from Canon Michael, Father Paul and Paul Burnard.
3. The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved
4. Matters Arising / Action plans:
There were no matters arising
5. Correspondence and Communications
There were four items of correspondence.
– A letter from a parishioner with regard togetting the churches set up for Mass. She felt that a note of where all items required are stored, where
switches are for lighting and instructions for heating system could be typed up and kept in each sacristy. A master copy could be kept at Ampthill
House. This would act as a back up plan should those who already commit their time to these tasks, be unable to do so at one time or another. A list would enable a willing but inexperienced volunteer, to stand in easily and effectively. Council felt that this was a good idea with the proviso that no information regarding the location of valuable items is noted.
Action plan: Owen will speak to those involved in this at St Joseph’s and organise some notes. Similarly Paula will speak to the Notre Dame volunteers and Ryan the Delancey volunteers.
– An e mail from the Parish Office to inform council that the hall at St Joseph’s has been booked for the evening of May 16th for a Parish Supper which
aims to raise funds for Mary’s Meals (See item 6)
– A further email from the Parish Office to tell council that the Youth Room is booked for the March GPC meeting. This had to be changed due to a clash with a mission service the previous week.
– A Youth Report from Paul Burnard ( See item 7)
– A letter from the island Cafod representative regarding the Lenten fundraising which over the past number of years has been donated to Cafod. Council discussed this and agreed that this year’s proceeds will be for Cafod.
Action plan: Helen will contact the Cafod representative to inform her of the council’s decision.
6. Fundraising for Mary’s Meals
Fundraising activities will commence after Lent this year. Gloria and Ryan Dekker are organising a Mary’s Meals’ fundraising supper in May where different nationalities will be asked to bring and share food. This will be a ticketed event. A notice will be placed in the Link soon. Parish almsgiving during Lent 2016 will be for Mary’s Meals.
Action plan: Paul will contact the parishioner who has offered his apartment in Transylvania re possibly putting the offer in the Link or offering as a raffle prize.
7. Mission Update
Father Kieran had visited the island, met with key groups e.g. schools and the mission timetable has been completed. Deacon Mark asked for help in handing out Mission Information leaflets and pamphlets at all masses. GPC members will help Deacon Mark to make sure that this is done at each mass over the pre mission weeks.
Action plan: Paula will cover the 5pm mass at Notre Dame, Helen will ask someone to cover the 6pm Saturday evening mass at Delancey and herself
cover the 8am mass at St Joseph’s and Ryan the 9.30 mass at Delancey. Owen will sort out cover for the 10.30 am and 6.30pm masses at St Joseph’s.
8. Youth News
A report had been received from Paul.
– Efforts will be made to increase attendance of Cygnet groups
– There are a number of forthcoming events planned and Tom is going to contact all 2014 candidates to invite them to attend these and Cygnet
meetings.
– The parish Befrienders have met the older Cygnet group with a view to youth becoming involved in / assisting with their activities.
9. AOB
The introduction of a family mass at Notre Dame du Rosaire will be a post mission project.
Some parishioners of Our Lady Star of the Sea have suggested to Deacon Mark that a box could be provided in which correspondence requiring
forwarding to the Parish office, could be put. It was decided that further discussion on this will take place at the next GPC meeting.
10. The next meeting will be held in the Parish Youth Room on Tuesday 10th March At 6pm. The prayer will be led by Owen Lee.
11. There being no other business the meeting closed with a prayer led by Paula, at 7.40pm